Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Famous people and their quotes. Part fifteen.

                                                          Christopher Columbus.

Source of image:

https://www.shutterstock.com/ru/image-photo/christopher-columbus-statue-65361115?src=ocqvQehSK9dknYLHEM1Mfg-1-76

Christopher Columbus Statue

“They say that there is in that land an infinite amount of gold, and that the people wear corals on their heads and very large bracelets of coral on their feet and arms; and that with coral they adorn and inlay chairs and chests and tables.”

“Our Almighty God has shown me the highest favor, which, since David, he has not shown to anybody.”

“I have now seen so much irregularity, that I have come to another conclusion respecting the earth, namely, that it is not round as they describe, but of the form of a pear.”

“I ought to be judged as a captain sent from Spain to the Indies, to conquer a nation numerous and warlike, with customs and religions altogether different to ours.”

“Speaking of myself, little profit had I won from twenty years of service, during which I have served with so great labors and perils, for today I have no roof over my head in Castile; if I wish to sleep or eat, I have no place to which to go, save an inn or tavern, and most often I lack the wherewithal to pay the score.”

“This island and all the others are very fertile to a limitless degree, and this island is extremely so. In it there are many harbors on the coast of the sea, beyond comparison with others that I know in Christendom, and many rivers, good and large, which is marvellous.”

“I went to sea from the most tender age and have continued in a sea life to this day. Whoever gives himself up to this art wants to know the secrets of Nature here below. It is more than forty years that I have been thus engaged. Wherever any one has sailed, there I have sailed.”

Source of information:

https://www.biography.com/people/christopher-columbus-9254209

No comments:

Post a Comment